LmKmp-[Blg]

Thursday, October 11, 2007

one more weird printer experience

I thought the weirdness was over, but I had one more odd experience with a printer today. I needed a rush job on a couple of signs. I called a printer from work, and they said if I emailed them the file of the sign I needed, they could have them printed by tonight when I got off work. I emailed them the file and all the information they would need. Hours later, when I had about an hour left before I got off work, I thought to call them and get a price quote, which I'd forgotten to do earlier. It turned out they hadn't even checked their email, so they hadn't lifted a finger on my signage. The guy on the phone asked his manager if they could do it tonight before they closed, and the manager said it could be done. About 45 minutes later, someone started ringing my cell phone off the hook. It was the printer. They said their building was evacuated, and they couldn't have my prints ready tonight. They suggested I go to Kinko's. I really wasn't even sure I believed this. I drove past the place on the way home, and it turns out there was a fleet of police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, and other vehicles all over their building's perimeter. I thought this would be the first year I wouldn't have to end up crawling around at Kinko's in the middle of the night before SPX, but it was inevitable. I've already done that at this point, and the signs are finally done. And on the way home, a trolley driver abandoned her regular route and just took me straight home. Very nice.

On a hopefully unrelated note, today on my lunch break I got one extra item which brought my total to $6.66. Amidst all the other weirdness, the eternally paranoid part of my brain was waving red flags. I hope it isn't a harbinger of more crap that is destined to happen at the con itself.

I am happy to say now that the smoke has cleared and all the materials I wanted have somehow come together I am finally excited about the con rather than dreading it. And my boss and co-workers have been extremely supportive of my plight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home